Theodore Judah Elementary - Attendance
Attendance is Important!
Good attendance habits are critical and our school goal is 96% attendance for every student. That would be a total of 5 excused absences for the year.
Perfect attendance awards are given out in class monthly to all students who were here and on time every day for that month. Students who are tardy are not considered to have perfect attendance. Students are marked tardy because they are late arriving to class, even if they were on campus when the bell rang.
If your child needs to miss school for part of the day we appreciate your efforts in making sure he/she attends as much school as possible by bringing him/her to school for at least part of the day with any partial daily attendance the schools earns ADA. If your child is late to school he/she must sign in at the office and receive a pass before going to the classroom.
Likewise, if you need to check your child out of school early for an emergency, please, go to the office first to fill out the early dismissal paperwork. call the office at 277-6364, or send a note with your child the following day.
If your child is absent please call the office at 277-6364. The teacher will assign makeup work and parental help may be necessary. Makeup work is not a substitute for class time. We teach many important concepts every day and many cannot be learned as homework
If you did not call the office you can write a note. It must contain the date and specific reason for the absence. All absences without an excuse will be considered unexcused until verified. After 7 school days an unverified absence becomes a truancy. Student illness, medical appointments, and bereavement are the only excused absences by law.
The following is the District procedure taken for excessive absences and unverified absences:
- 1st Truancy letter sent after 3 absences or tardies of 30 minutes or more
- 2nd Truancy letter sent after one additional absence or tardy
- 3rd Truancy letter and SART (Student Attendance Review Team) appointment sent after one additional tardy or absence
- SART (Student Attendance Review Team) hearing and contract completed and signed
- SARB (Student Attendance Review Board) referral after one additional unexcused absence or tardy
- Referral to District Attorney’s Office for prosecution
Additional links for parent resources:
Sacramento Library http://www.saclibrary.org